Elizabeth is an associate partner with Hofstede Insights, specializing in cross-cultural assessment tools. She has launched her online executive education program, Globalbizleader, which provides online courses, coaching, and consulting for professionals who need to develop their leadership skills while leading and managing diverse groups.
Elizabeth obtained her master’s degree and Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in Education and Linguistics. She is a certified professional coach and an expert on cross-cultural assessment. Her focus is on leadership development built over time and uses a variety of assessment tools to help professionals develop their emotional and cultural intelligence.
For over 20 years Elizabeth has worked with business professionals in executive education to help develop cross-cultural leadership skills in a VUCA – volatile, uncertain, complex, and ambiguous – world.
She is the author of "Intercultural Communication for Global Business: How Leaders Communicate For Success", (2e) Routledge, 2021.
- Intercultural Communication for Global Leadership: How Leaders Communicate for Success, 2e (Routledge, 2021).
- Tuleja, E., & Schachner, M. (2020). From Shared Values to Cultural Dimensions: A Comparative Review. In G. Rings & S. Rasinger (Eds.), The Cambridge Handbook of Intercultural Communication (Cambridge Handbooks in Language and Linguistics, pp. 96-119). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. doi:10.1017/9781108555067.009
- Global and Culturally Diverse Leaders and Leadership, edited by Jean Lau Chin, Joseph E. Trimble, and Joseph E. Garcia (2017). The chapter: How the Communal Philosophies of Ubuntu in Africa and Confucius Thought in China Might Enrich Western Notions of Leadership.
- Exceptional Leadership by Design: Designing Optimal Contexts for Leadership: “Globally and Culturally Intelligent Leadership by Design”, by Elizabeth A. Tuleja (2018).
- Visionary Leadership in a Turbulent World: Thriving in the New VUCA Context The chapter: Cultural Intelligence in a VUCA World. McGraw Hill, (2017).
- Way, S. A., Simons, T., Leroy, H., & Tuleja, E. A. (2016). What is in it for me? Middle Manager Behavioral Integrity and Performance. Journal of Business Ethics, 1-13. Liana Cafolla. (2015). “Cultural Travelers: Global Careers Cross Boundaries Greater than Geography.” CFA Institute Magazine.
- Tuleja, E. A. (2015). Intercultural Communication for Business: Managerial Communication Series (3rd edition). Editor, James O’Rourke. GlobeComm Publishing.
- Tuleja, E.A. (2014). Developing cultural intelligence for global leadership through mindfulness. Journal of Teaching in International Business, 25, 1, 5-24.
- Tuleja, E.A., Beamer, L., Shum, C. & Chan, Elisa K. Y. (2011). Designing and developing questionnaires for translation across cultures. IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, 54, 4, 392-405.
Honours and Awards
- Fulbright Scholar to China 2017-2018
- 2020 China Annual Spring Festival Symposium for Foreign Experts, Beijing
- International Association for Business Communication Teaching Award 2015
- Faculty Fellow, Kellogg Institute of International Studies, University of Notre Dame 2010-2018
- Faculty of Excellence Award, Chinese University of Hong Kong 2007, 2008, 2009
- Certified Professional Coach (CPC)
- Certified Practitioner with the following online assessment tools:
- Cultural Orientations Indicator
- Global Competencies Inventory
- Intercultural Development Inventory; Intercultural Effectiveness Scale
- Global Mindset Inventory
- GlobeSmart Profile
- Harvard University Case Seminar Certificate
- MBTI Certification via Type Resources Qualifying Program
- Advanced MBTI Analysis Training via Type Resources Qualifying Program